How to Apply For A Police Vulnerable Sector Check
All Executive members, convenors, team officials and on ice volunteers 18 years of age and older (prior to being rostered to a team) with NMHA are required to obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) as per NMHA PVSS (Police Vulnerable Sector Screening) Policy.
- For instructions on how to apply for a PVSC letter, application form, customer
service hours and YRP locations that provide this service, visit the YRP website
Note: Volunteers who do not live in York Region will be required to obtain a PVSC
from the jurisdiction in which they live.
- Members of the public can now apply online for a Police Vulnerable Sector Check,
visit YRP website for link. Two pieces of government issued identification that is not
expired of which one piece of identification must have a photograph is required to be
- NOTE: When dealing with York Regional Police you will also need to submit at the same time with their application a letter from NMHA stating your position with NMHA and that you are a non-paid volunteer. A copy of a generic request letter is available on our website for you to download which is already signed and you will simply need to fill in the blanks. Alternatively, you can obtain this letter by contacting our office by email at [email protected]. With this association letter you will be charged the volunteer fee for your clearance letter and additional fees if required to submit fingerprints will be waived.
- Each applicant is responsible to pay the applicable volunteer fee as set by YRP.
- Part of the screening process now involves querying a database of pardoned sexual offences. If one’s date of birth matches the date of birth of a person of the same sex that may have been pardoned of a sexual offence, fingerprints must be submitted to continue the process. If applying online and fingerprints are necessary, the online process will stop and applicant must attend in person to complete the application. If applying in person fingerprints will be taken immediately on site.
- Each applicant will receive a response letter from the Police, either a hard copy or an
electronic police check with a QR code. If your reply is a hard copy, the original letter with the YRP embossed crest must be submitted to the NMHA office for this process to be complete and the applicant approved. If a hard copy is submitted make a copy for your records as this letter will not be returned. If an electronic reply is received, submit copy of letter with QR code to the NMHA office. Response letter should be placed in an envelope marked PVSC and the individual's name placed on the front of the envelope and submitted to the hockey office. Letter is kept by NMHA and filed at our lawyer’s office.
- Lawyer’s office will inform NMHA of any volunteers that do not meet the eligibility requirements. Any member that does not meet the eligibility requirements will be refused a position of service with NMHA.