Moving to Newmarket - Residential Transfer Procedure (Newmarket Minor Hockey)

PrintMoving to Newmarket - Residential Transfer Procedure




If you are moving to Newmarket, and have played hockey in another center, there is a transfer process that must be followed to have the address changed to Newmarket on your son/daughter’s Hockey Canada Profile. The process is the same regardless of age of player and whether or not there is interest in trying out for a REP team. Our office will provide assistance with completing your transfer, but NMHA cannot change an address on a player’s profile, only the OMHA office can, provided the correct steps and full documentation required is submitted. 

Playing REP/MD Hockey in Newmarket:

Newmarket is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by OMHA Regulation 3.3 that states only confirmed residents of Newmarket shall be eligible to attend tryouts, and be rostered to a Rep/MD team.

REP/MD Teams that fall under this regulation:

U8 up to U18 AA, A, BB, and MD

There is no residency restriction for Select Hockey (Newmarket provides Select hockey at the U11, U13 and U15 divisions).  Players that participate on a Select team must also be registered to a NMHA HL team.

Note: To be eligible to attend REP/MD tryouts, transfer must be approved with address change to Newmarket on player’s profile.


1. OMHA TRANSFER: Player is moving from an OMHA centre to another OMHA centre. You can contact our office [email protected] for the required OMHA Player Transfer Form for residential moves.

2. OHF TRANSFER: Player is moving from another association outside of the OMHA (i.e. Alliance, GTHL, NOHA etc.) In this case if you are moving to Newmarket from outside the OMHA you must contact your outgoing member partner directly.  Your outgoing centre will process your move and notify the OMHA/NMHA once your move has been approved.  Only then would you be eligible to tryout and be rostered to a Newmarket team.

Once you have the transfer form, please read the instructions in its entirety and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete will not be processed and will only delay completion.

Step 1: Complete the OMHA Residential form in full and sign and date

Step 2: Collect the requested documents listed on the form, all documents are mandatory:

1. Official Confirmation of School Enrollment

2. Letter of School Authorizing the OMHA to check on and confirm school enrollment during year (NMHA office has a template letter you can use for this requirement upon request)

3. Copy of fully executed Rental Agreement, registered transfer of ownership, or Agreement of purchase and sale

4. Copy of updated Drivers License with new residence address for both parents 

5. Copy of utility or similar bill (i.e. Hydro, telephone, cable, credit card,) demonstrating the parent(s) name and new address

6. If applicable, an executed copy of any relevant separation agreement, custody order or divorce decree. If not available, in split custody circumstances with split residence, must provide a Notary Public Affidavit confirming the player resides in Newmarket more than 50% of the time.

Step 3: Submit transfer form and all documentation to the NMHA office.  You can do this by scanning each document separately and send by email to [email protected] . Or drop off the hard copies to our office located in the Magna Centre (lower level).

Step 4: Once the documents have been submitted to Newmarket Minor Hockey, the documents will be uploaded in the Hockey Canada Registry. OMHA approval can take some time. Once the OMHA approves the transfer you will receive an email from our office notifying you that transfer to Newmarket is completed.  Player is then eligible to register to attend REP tryouts.

Important Note: This is an easy and simple process if all of the documents are submitted correctly and on time. Newmarket Minor Hockey is only responsible for collecting the transfer documents and sending them to the OMHA. Incomplete submissions will not be forwarded.  The more documents you are able to submit, the more likely the transfer will come back approved and quickly. False residency claims and residency claims that cannot be substantiated will result in forfeiture of full registration fees.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. I am thinking about moving to Newmarket, but haven’t found a home/condo/rental yet. How does this impact me?

A. Your player is not eligible to attend NMHA REP tryouts until you satisfy all documentation requirements as outlined above and transfer to Newmarket has been approved by the OMHA office.

Q. I have purchased a home/condo/rental in Newmarket, but I don’t move in until after Tryouts. Is my player eligible to skate at Tryouts?

A. No, player cannot attend tryouts.  In order to try out for a Newmarket REP team you must be a NMHA member and have completed the full transfer as outlined above.

Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Newmarket, the other is not – is my player still eligible for tryouts?

A. If you supply all of the documents listed above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Newmarket parent and are approved by the OMHA that player has Newmarket residency, then player will be eligible.

Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?

A. Our office can submit to the OMHA office a shared transfer request.  This will allow the player to register to participate in House League Play only.  Out of Town fees will not apply pending OMHA transfer approval. Transfer request must be initiated once player has moved to Newmarket otherwise out of town fee will be added to players registration. Player cannot attend REP tryouts or be registered to a REP team until all documentation requirements outlined above and transfer to Newmarket has been approved by the OMHA office.

Q. What is the process between the NMHA and the OMHA? I want to know more.

A. Your documents will be reviewed by the NMHA for completeness, accuracy and format. Should they pass this preliminary review, the NMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR). Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness. The OMHA will then a) approve, b) decline, or c) investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the NMHA accordingly. Once notified, the NMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.

Q. I am moving to Newmarket, but my player will be playing house league, and house league only. What process do I follow?

A. All players follow the same process for residential moves as outlined above regardless if registering to play House League or Rep.